Amendments to 'The Slate Quarries of Pembrokeshire'
Page 37, 40 Pen y Maen SM728276. Working from 1800 possibly long before. Advertising in 1889s probaly closed around turn of the century. Materail shipped at adjacent Port LLeuog (Robert Lewis)
Page 55 CRONLLWYN reportedf 2010 that small-scle production has been restarted
Page 55 DYFFRYN Worked in early 1920s by Hugh Edwards paying Royalty of 2/9 per 100 to Francis Barham. An account (1922) exists for 90 20x10@ 41/-, 90 18x10@ 37/6, 100 19x0@ 36/-, 30 16x10@ 35/- (all prices per 100). 1923 Peter Campbell of Tyrch offered to buy stock for 11/4d per slate, Dressing machine for £7.10 0 & 2 trams @ £5 and Rails @£7per ton. Presumably this is when quarry closed (P D Edwards)
Page 88 Picture of Dolbadau crane. It is believed that this was the crane that was bought in the mid 1930s by HENDRE DDU Quarry SH799125 (see The Slate Regions of Wales, Section 14) but its wooden jib was wrecked when it was being unloaded.
Page 104 CNWC Y DERIN should be Cnwc y Deryn also at 105, 117, 102,193
Page 106 1934 4 men, ditto 1937
Page 11//6 GILFACH 1928 47 men, 1934 34 men (15 in the quarry, 19 outside), ditto 1937
Page 116 GILFACH Some attemept to go underground 1930s?
Page 117 Shoul;d be Gogeddan Plant Breeding Station
Page 126 LLYN 1937 P.F.Campbell 6 menth
Page 130 TEMPLE DRUID Truscott's partners
were J E Phillips, G Evans & J Williams. They met in Thomas' Cafe
Swansea. The company paid a dead rent of £10 pa merging to 1/30th.
Page 132 Tyrch 1928 24 men, 1934 20 men, 1937 20 men, (2 at upper site?)1938 13 men
Page153 Lochtyn This was being occasional worked
by J & J Davies, Llangranog in 1928, idle by 1934
Page 155 INSERT PENRALLTDDU SN042342 Offered for lease November 1842 Remains Possible excavation.
Page 157 The river was navigable at least as far as Llechryd,
and aoart from carrying general cargo, served the Pen-y-gored tinplate
works, whose proprietor (and builder of Castell Malgwyn), apprently constructed
a towing path on its south side in the 1790s. Although the path appears
to have been discontinuous, horses were said to be used. An engraving
c1820, shows man-hauling of barges with a seemingly non-slate cargo. Paddling
rather than hauling seems to have been the norm for slate working.
Page 159 New Entry 173513 Grug
Page162 The Stephens owned sailing ships operating out
of Cardigan carrying slate.Thjeir Cardigan works had been the Bailey Foundry
which vacated the building when it was amalgamated with the Bridgend Foundry
in the mid 1860s.
Page 170/2 DOLBADAU 1928 2 men employed one only 1934 & 1937
Page 171 "Coffin without bottom" . This would be used to cover the body which was laid on a board. After the funeral but before the grave was filled in, it would be retoieved for reuse
Page 173 Some 150 yards upstream from the Pwdwr workings, at the bend in the river, a path led down to a ferry which gave access to Plas y Meudwy on the north bank.
Page 174 2002 Sawing of block being carried out at Cefn
Page 176 FFOREST
Page 181 Insert GRUG SN173513 Very small quarry of convenience
Page 185 New Entry 388311Nantgerdinen
Page 188 INSERT NANTGERDINEN SN388311 Part time? working in small valley Remains Much waste including roofling slate trimmings. No buildings
Pp 192/193 INSERT Alphabetical & GR Refs for Nantgerdinen
and for Penralltddu