Amendments to 'Slate Railways of Wales'
Page 15 One of the Welsh Midland proposals included Mumbles (west of Swansea) as a destination port Other schemes seeking western ports in 1845/46 included the Great Welsh Central, the similar Cambrian & Grand Junction and the Birkenhead, Chester, Mold, Ruabon & Vlae of Llangollen Rly.
Page 18 last para the (West) Midland was variously submitted as the North Wales & West Midland Railway & the Shrewsbury, Barmouth & Portmadoc Railway. It would have branched off the Shrewsbury and Welshpool Railway at Hanwood and run via Porthywaen, Llangynog, thence by tunnel to Llandrillo )with a branch to Corwen and on to Balam Dolgellau and north along the coast from Barmouth.
Page 20 St Geoge'spier & harbour were not opened until 1885 (Mr Eric Smith)
Page 55 CMA&T Railway The two tunnels. Pumwern 198 yds & Lugwy 158 yds, there would have been a 572 yd viaduct around Pennal. The connection to the proposed Shrewsbury and Aberystwyth would have been by a 472 yd viaduct over the later site of the Corris Railway terminus, crossing the river downstream of the road bridge.
Page 56 CM&RD Tramroad 2nd para. This went due west to the river beyond Cei Ward and the Morben wharves, to where there was ship building. 3rd para. The planned extension to Cambergi quarry would have passed immediately in front of Blue Cottages. The section south of Machynlleth was finally abandoned c1879
Page 57 Oernant Tramway, The 3' gauge may have been in anticipation of moving big slab (This may also have been a factor in chosing 3' for the Gorseddau line.
Page 71 The Newtown and Llanidloes line was built because at the time all the railway schemes which would have served the area had fallen through. It was intended to terminate at the Newtown canal basin. The backing Earl of Vane (Later Marquess of Londonderry) gave to the Newtown and Machynlleth Railway line was undoubtedly partly to further his slate interests in the Dulas valley.
Page 72 Savin and others saw great potential for Aberystwyth as a port.
Page 73 Talyllyn Railway In 1886 it declined the Cambrian Railways offer to convey TR wagons from Towyn to Aberdyfi on transporter wagons, apparently because of the number of wagons it would tie up. Although the early idea of a Towyn-Aberdyfi rail way was displaced by the A & WC, in the late 1890s, Soloman Andrews (of Pwllheli tramway fame) proposed a passenger tramway to parallel the A & WC between the two towns.
Page 78 2nd para The orignial Dyfi crossing would have gone due north to Aberdyi, the second sheme would have been slightly upstream and was to have had a road underneath (An idea revived in reverse for the rebuilt Britannia Menai crossing), at its northern end it would have turned sharply west into what became the 533 yard Graig y Don tunnel. 3rd para the Morben Railway was originally intended.to cross the Dyfi by swinging almost due north from east of the present Glandyfi Junction to Pennal and also to go around the headland at Aberdyfi, not via the Graig y Don tunnel. Interestingly, the main line to Aberystwyth was not planned to swing south to avoid the bend in the river, but was to have continued in a straight line crossing the river near the site of the present bridge and re-crossing back to the south side some 100 yards further on. Some formations of this alignment are extant. It was not expected that this brief excursion onto the north side could have been used as a river crossing since a proposed land reclamation scheme was to have diverted the river northwards.
Page 85 St George's Dock at Deganwy opened in 1885( E Smith Deganwy)
Page 90The principle oftpic-a-backing wagons was also used in this area by Dorothea quarry (SH500532). After they bought up Pen y Bryn (SH502536) 2' g wagons were carried between the quarries on 3'6"g transporters.
Page 129 Para V It was only by contribtions by Glanrafon, Rhos Clogwyn and Bwlch Cwm Llan quarries to the cost of the Afon Treweunydd bridge that enabled the line to be completed.
Page 157 Beddgelert & Portmadoc Light Railway 1901 was a scheme backed by the Northern Counties Electric Traction Co, predecessors to the NW P & E T Co. for an electric railway. Power generated by "Llyn Gwynant" (SIC) would also power an 11 mile Pwllheli - Nevin line, plus the main line from Machynlleth to Pwllheli! AND for good measure lighting "The stations and every village and town on the way". Voltage was to be a lethal 3000.
Page 174 There are interesting rail fencing posts. Near Manod station of Barlow rail and near Fron Goch Station, flat bottomed rail stamped Blaenavon
Page 175 Bethesda Branch Line 4 Seven arch bridge is intact.
Page 179 The road into the industrial site defines the line of the railway to where it crossed the main road. This was a diversion to make room for the Main line station.railway was built. At Quay Ward/Moben several slate companies had wharves prior to tramway
Page 190 Hendre Ddu Line 6 DELETE "reputedly" Line 14 DELETE ""behind" SUBSTITUTE "through"
Page 201 Talyllyn Railway In heading add "Revived 1952. Line 1 after "extended" add 1976,
Page 206 Ffridd Incline Note three upper pitches self acting, the fourth(lowest) pitch was steam powered. Closed 1930 when work had virtually ceased on all its contributing quarries. Topmost pitch probably closed much before that.
Page 209 Bala-Blaenau GWR should be 142-145